Photo: Anton Denisov / RIA Novosti
The decision of the court of arbitration for Sport (CAS) confirms the groundlessness of the suspicions about the Russian athletes, said press Secretary of the President of Russia Dmitry Peskov, commenting on the refusal of the IOC to send individual invitations to the Games in Pyeongchang to 15 representatives of Russia. His words are quoted by the correspondent of”.ru” on Monday, February 5.
“We sincerely regret with the decision and believe that the CAS decision should allay the suspicions about the athletes. (…) But in spite of our regrets, we keep communication channels with the IOC — on the track of protecting the interests of our sportsmen and ensuring the participation of our athletes in the Olympics”, — said Peskov.
Earlier on February 5, the admission Commission under the leadership of Valerie Fourneyron refused to issue invitations 13 Russian athletes and two coaches, which the court of arbitration for Sport (CAS) acquitted 1 February. In the opinion of the members of the Commission, the abolition of the lifetime disqualification does not mean that the athletes must take part in the Olympics 2018.
Games will be held in Pyeongchang from 9 to 25 February. In South Korea, the Russian athletes will compete under the Olympic flag and the special status of “Olympic athlete from Russia.”
Video, photo All from Russia.