Photo: RIA Novosti
The organization for security and cooperation in Europe (OSCE) called the main cause of death in the Donbass. This was stated by the special representative of the organization, Heidi Grau in the meeting of the contact group on the Donbas in Minsk, reports RIA Novosti .
She stated that the main cause of civilian casualties in Eastern Ukraine — mines. Grau emphasized that in this regard the parties to the conflict need to strengthen mine action.
The special representative noted that in 2019 the number of victims among the civilian population “declined significantly”. According to her, the death toll reached its lowest level since the beginning of the conflict. “It is particularly important to note that last year killed any child,” said Grau.
The diplomat said that it welcomed the exchange of prisoners between Kiev and Donbas. In her opinion, it was “a great breakthrough” and the reason that strengthened the trust between the parties. Grau noted that the work of the contact group on January 16 was focused on implementing decisions of the summit in “Norman format” in Paris.
The first in the last two years a major prisoner exchange between Ukraine and Donbass took place on December 29. Kiev received 76 people, the Donetsk passed 60 people, Lugansk — 63. Among the liberated Kiev individuals were five former employees of “Berkut”.
In mid-November, the UN estimated the number of dead among the peaceful population in the armed conflict in the Donbass. According to the organization, since the beginning of the conflict in 2014 killed “at least 3 thousand 345 civilians”. All civilians who were injured in the attacks, including artillery, were on the territory controlled by the self-proclaimed Donetsk people’s Republic.
Video, photo All from Russia.